Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Little boys say funny things

Levi is always repeating something that he heard somewhere and tweaking it just a little bit so that I can understand what he is trying to say, but he says it wrong. I can't think of any examples of this right now, but when I do, I will write them down because it is so funny to hear what he thinks he is hearing. Well, this drives Jonathan absolutely insane. He has deemed himself the person in charge of making sure that Levi does not ever make a mistake, but when Levi does make a mistake, Jonathan will surely make him aware of it and correct it. Jonathan, as the oldest child in our family, knows absolutely everything there is to know about anything and he is the true source of all knowledge! (so he thinks) Now because it is in my nature to root for the underdog, I cannot stand when Jonathan picks on Levi. I take every opportunity I can to help Jonathan realize that he still has a little learning to do himself. So, the other night, these two boys were in the bathtub and they were talking about when you do something naughty and Jonathan says, "you will go to Juby!" I started to bust up laughing because I knew what he was trying to say! I asked him where he learned about "Juby" and of course he could not tell me the source, but it was probably some punk kid from school that will end up in "Juby" someday. I went on to explain to the boys that "Juvy" is short for juveneille hall and that's where you go if you don't listen to your mom and dad and you make fun of your brother. So Jonathan got a little humbling and Levi now knows what "Juvy" is so hopefully my boys will not end up there as adolescents! Yeah, that would be good if they did not end up in "Juvy".

I just thought of one of Levi's funny things. One day he asked me how to spell dragon. I started out......D......R.....A. But he interrupted me with a strange look on his face and said, "That's funny, dragon starts with a 'd'? I thought it started with a 'j'!" So then I put it all together and realized that instead of hearing and saying dragon, he was hearing and saying JRAGON. I don't know why this is so funny to me, but it is. My boys make me chuckle.

2 comments:

Marathon Mama said...

We have the same 6-year-old-d-sounding-like-J-thing goin on over here too! Mistake it may be, but it sure is cute!:)

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

To this day, I still struggle with the saying, "Play it by ear." I always thought it was, "Play it by year." Only realized that it wasn't about 6 years ago, maybe?